Thursday, 23 February 2012

It's raining, and it's not men!


'I am 30, single, I don't own a house.. and on top of that I am raising a six year old kid on my own. I am such a failure!'


Every few months I have this conversation with my mother over the phone. And every few months I tell myself that I really shouldn’t call my mum when I am feeling down. She is not the type of person who would cheer you up. Instead she would agree and point out that on top of being a failure I am also a bad mother...
’is he still wetting his bed?’
‘humm, yes’
‘you have to wake him up to bring him to the toilet!’ I can hear the frustration in her voice.
‘humm, ok, I'll try’
So I have been getting up twice throughout the night, at midnight and at four in the morning.
'Listen to your mother, she is always right!' I hear my dad say in the background, eavesdropping as usual. It's true that my son hasn't wet his bed for a few weeks now. However, looking like a zombie has not helped uplift my mood.
Money always comes up next in the conversation.
‘I know I have to be careful mum'.
'If you don't start saving, you'll be borrowing money from your son soon!' she says sharply.
'is she broke again?' says my dad in the background.
'Have you nothing else to do than listen to our conversation?' replies my mum. They usually end up engaging in an argument about how my dad never calls me or my brother.
Men and sex are never mentioned. For some reason, those two words are taboo in my mum's vocabulary. However, now and then, she likes to remind me of how my son was conceived just in case I had forgotten.
'you really don't want to end up knocked up by another immature and irresponsible guy!'
'I am careful now. And anyway I am not seeing anyone.'
'Good!'
This usually is followed by an awkward silence..and my mum changing subject
'So what is the weather like in Belfast today?'
'It's raining, as usual'
"i am not sure how you can live in a country where it rains all the time. No wonder you're depressed sweetie! It's the weather!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!